Our commitment to our employees is central to our ability to continue to deliver strong performance and financial results for our stockholders and other stakeholders. We seek to create and cultivate an engaging work environment for our employees, which allows us to attract, retain, and develop top talent to manage our business. We also encourage our employees to be actively involved in the communities in which they live through various initiatives.
As part of our commitment to our employees, our community members, and giving back to those in need, the BNL team has focused on the following programs:
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We are committed to creating and maintaining a culture of inclusion and connectedness and we believe the company is better able to grow and improve with a diverse Board of Directors, management, and team of employees. To that end, we value and advance the diversity and inclusion of the people with whom we work. These commitments extend to the composition of our Board of Directors and our workforce.
As of March 31, 2022, two of our nine directors identify as female and 44% of our directors identify with underrepresented groups.
Further, employees who identify as women comprise 62% of our workforce, 33% of our officers, and 25% of our executive officers.
Additionally, approximately 67% of our employees are between 30 and 50 years old, and approximately 14% of our employees are Hispanic or Latino, Black or African American, or Asian.
BNL’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (“DE&I”) Committee spearheads ongoing efforts to design and implement related programs and deepen our commitment to this important initiative. DE&I program updates are routinely reported to the Board of Directors. Recent achievements include:
- CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion™ pledge – Chris Czarnecki, CEO signed the pledge set forth by Nareit’s Dividends Through Diversity, Equity & Inclusion CEO Council. The pledge outlines a set of actions that CEOs will take to cultivate a trusting environment where all ideas are welcomed, and employees feel comfortable and empowered to have discussions about diversity and inclusion.
- Unconscious Bias Training – all employees participated in a training workshop conducted by a third-party firm. An online version of the training is now included in new employee onboarding.
- DE&I Focused Charitable Giving and Community Support – Broadstone increased its annual giving, and allocated a percentage targeted specifically to non-profit organizations with DE&I related missions, intended to expand services and support in the communities where our corporate and regional offices operate- Rochester, Phoenix and Dallas respectively. The organizations BNL supported work to combat food insecurity, provide support for at risk children and teens, promote urban entrepreneurship, and provide free civil legal services for those that qualify.
- DE&I Digest – a monthly newsletter was created to share DE&I related content among BNL colleagues each month to encourage employee awareness and participation.
Broadstone encourages employees to get involved in philanthropic and community work both in and outside of the workplace. A dedicated committee of employees coordinates volunteer events and activities supporting a variety of non-profit organizations in the regions from which we operate. Some initiatives and activities in 2021:
- United Way and UW Day of Caring
- Holiday Programs – Thanksgiving Appeal, Holiday Lights
- Clothing, Food, and Supplies Drive
- Youth Initiatives – Reading Programs, Homeless
Many BNL employees and directors serve as volunteer Board and Committee members at local non-profit organizations. BNL supports those organizations and employee contributions by sponsoring events and providing cash and in-kind donations.
We do not believe it is appropriate for Broadstone Net Lease Inc. to make corporate-level political contributions. Accordingly, we do not: (i) contribute to or make expenditures on behalf of any federal, state or local candidates for election, referendums or initiatives; (ii) contribute to or make expenditures on behalf of political parties; (iii) contribute to or make expenditures on behalf of political committees or other political entities organized and operating under 26 U.S.C. Sec. 527 of the Internal Revenue Code; (iv) contribute to any charity or non-profit organization at the request of any federal, state or local government office holder or any candidate for such an office; (v) donate Company time, resources, products or services to any of the foregoing; or (vi) pay for advertisements, printing or other campaign expenses. Our Political Spending Policy is available here. We did not make any political contributions during the year ended December 31, 2021.
Working & Culture at BNL
We strive to create an engaging work experience that allows for career development and related opportunities. Our employee benefits program focuses on the overall well-being and development of our employees and includes generous paid time-off policies for both personal and sick leave, on-site flu vaccinations, 100% employer-paid health insurance options for all full-time employees, employer contributions to a health savings accounts (for those employees with high deductible plans), health concierge services, employer-funded life insurance, as well as other customary benefits. We strive to promote a healthy workplace, offering webinars, health and fitness challenges and events, and an Employee Assistance Plan that provides counseling services to employees.
We also encourage professional growth for all our employees through internal training and development and by offering access to various online educational and training resources and webinars, reimbursement for continuing education, and opportunities for tuition assistance and reimbursement.
To view a comprehensive list of employee benefits, click here.